The Tub of Lard

>> Tuesday, July 08, 2008



We have an administrative assistant in the office who's referred by a volunteer of ours. The volunteer is very sharp and hard-working, he also has a great personality, plus he's very handsome and flirty. So when we were interviewing his mom for the job, we thought she might be as charming or have the same working ethics. I wasn't thrilled to hire family members of other colleagues, I thought it's great if it works out, but if either of them turned sour, it might be hard to just get rid of one of them. But then it wasn't my decision to make.

The volunteer came and went, he found a nice job that fits him pretty well, he's a great person and we all wish him the best. The mom however stayed behind and still work here. We found out that when her son was with her she was actually delegating her duties to her son, and being the great guy that he is, he did everything for her. After he's gone, she has no clue where anything is but slowly but surely she is finding new volunteers to delegate her job again. It's more obvious now that we've moved to a new space and everything is out in the open. She's having some volunteers to answer the phone for her, some to open the door when there's visitors and some other to get her lunch for her. She basically just sit on her chair and all day and play games on her computer. The other thing that gets me too is that she complains about her food after someone else have nicely bought it for her. I've tried to ask the volunteers to stop doing that for her, but then they are all too nice. I mean, what's the point of being nice to someone if they take your kindness and make nasty remarks?

Given, she's an older lady and her boss though that it would be nice to hire someone older and she has passed her retirement age. I just don't get how she has problem walking the 20 steps to answer the door while she has no problem walking down to smoke her cigarettes. I also find she's highly manipulative, she's in no way a young pretty thing, but she got the male volunteers to do her bidding for her by pretending to be clueless of what she's doing and asking for suggestions and then it is "Can you help me with that?". She tried it on me but then I'm gay and I saw through it, so I'm quite immune. Although I guess that's a pretty good skill to have, imagine how rosy my life is if I can have guys doing things for me, shirtless.

We are moving to another office again and I was assigned a room and she successfully persuaded my boss that she needs sunlight and a window. So I got reassigned to another room. My boss has a problem with complains and he'll do anything to quite people down. I usually don't have a problem exchanging since I don't need much and people are already calling me easy, but I really don't appreciate people going behind my back instead of asking me nicely. It rubs me the wrong way and it shows a lack of respect, but I'll try to be the better person and let this slide. Word is that she's gonna be let go after August anyway.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP