Music Invasion: Bjork's "Play Dead"

>> Monday, July 21, 2008

I have always loved Bjork, well not always sometimes she does overwhelm me, but you have to say that Bjork has her unique sound and identity. I like her so much that I can overlook her going berserk at that Thai reporter for no good reason, I even like Dancer in the Dark though it made me nauseous and I loved the swan dress.

Her music is introspective, daring and personal. All reasons why I like female singers in a 85:15 ratio comparing to male singers, and also the reason I like R&B/Jazz/Soul/Blues music a lot more than I like Rock and Rap. But then Bjork introduces strange, though provoking concepts in her songs: "I thought I could organize freedom, how Scandinavian of me?" "All the modern things like cars and such have always existed. They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment." This song is from her earlier period around 1993 and it was recorded for the soundtrack of a UK movie called The Young Americans. It is one of my favorite songs of hers even the music arrangement is so not her electronica style, but the strings added a lot of drama in a little song like this, coupled with her lyrics it's a song that I listened to when I just want to act out.



Play Dead

Darling stop confusing me
With your wishful thinking
Hopeful embraces
Don't you understand?
I have to go through this
I belong to here where
No-one cares and no-one loves
No light no air to live in
A place called hate
The city of fear

I play dead
It stops the hurting
I play dead
And the hurt stops
It's sometimes just like sleeping
Curling up inside my private tortures
I nestle into pain
Hug suffering
Caress every ache

I play dead
It stops the hurting

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP