Movie Review: Hancock

>> Sunday, July 06, 2008



Feel a bit bored and able, so I went out to see Hancock. Again, I'm a big fan of superhero movies and if we can all use our imagination to invent a brand new character, I'm all for it. Let's face it, we all love Will Smith, don't we? I've watched him since Fresh Prince and he's from Philly, he's practically a brother.

Hancock is a superman type superhero that can fly and have super strength, but his lack of enthusiasm and tact in saving people has made him public enemy number 1. He's always drunk and the properties he destroys while performing his rescues are far worse than the crimes itself. While rescuing an aspiring save-the-world PR agent Ray, Ray tries to help by asking him to surrender to the court and go to jail and when the crime rate goes up, the people will beg him to be release and love him for it. Meanwhile, Ray helps Hancock by getting him rid of alcohol and inspire him to be a better person in general.

There are quite a bit of colorful language in that, and of course violence. Hancock definitely has a more urban feel. I love the initial flying sequence where Hancock was drunk and flying zig-zag across the cityscape smashing everything around him to the beat of Ludacris' Move Bitch. Also he can't stand being called an asshole, that's the word that make him mad. Funny, because I have always called my boyfriends assholes lovingly when they make me upset.

Hancock is a movie about self-discovery, a person trying to find his own identity and find a place to belong to. It is also very entertaining, special effects and special powers always are. Like many other reviewers, I would agree that the third part of the movie is a little bit odd and clumsy as if the screenwriter is trying real hard to explain where Hancock originated and struggle to find an ending. I would have loved to find out the origin of his drawings in his jail cell and the meaning of the eagles. Charlize Theron who played Ray's wife is really great and pretty in it. (It's the California overtanned orange skin just a make up? Or does she looke like that in real life?) But all in all, it is a good summer movie. I enjoyed myself. C+


Stephen Colbert is growing on me, I really like this interview of him with Will Smith. Watch Will get stumped by Stephen.

***

After the movie, I was waiting for a bus in front of an Indian buffet for 25 minutes. I finally stopped fighting my urge and went in for dinner. It tasted so good that I was slapping the table in delight. Indians are true magicians of spices, the Tikki Masala Chicken was to die for. After stuffing my face, I got on my bus and it got quite magical. There were a group of about 20 black people in the back of the bus, mostly young girls and their moms, they looked like they were either coming back from a barbecue/picnic or heading out to a gathering. The bus was really packed and after like 3 minutes, they started singing The Wheels on the Bus Goes Round and Round, and then a guy standing next to me yelled "Do Old McDonalds Has a Farm! Do you guy do requests?" More and more people started to sing, and then it's BINGO. Another guy sitting not far from me said "Let's all sing, it's probably the last time you'll sing these junks." I'm like, "You're probably right."

The folks getting on the bus were shocked and dumbfounded but very soon influenced by fun and the good nature. "Is this the party bus?". Another guy says "Don't get off of this bus, you probably won't have this much fun for a while, you miserable people." lol. Well, I don't even think blondes have this much fun. I wasn't in any rush but it had got to end sometimes, so I got off when it get to my stop. On my way back home, I passed by the area where Lucius got attacked and found his keys sitting on the sidewalk, it probably was sitting on a bumper or something like that. I should really have bought lottery tickets.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP