Movie Review: The Dark Knight

>> Sunday, July 27, 2008



Lately I've been watching a lot movie than I used to, it might be because I don't have a boyfriend or maybe there's not much going on in my life and I feel the need to fulfill my blog quota. Whatever the reason maybe, The Dark Knight would have been a must-see.

Funny thing about superhero movies is that they usually have a strong existing storyline and the movies are usually peppered heavily with special effects that it would guarantee box office that sometimes they cast actors the resembles the characters and completely disregarding the acting skills of those said actors. I'm happy to report that The Dark Knight did not fall victim to that. Maybe because Batman himself is in a mask all the time, and Joker have heavy makeup on, so there is a lot more leeway when it comes to choosing the actors. All the main characters, well, all the characters in this movie seems to be quite brilliant.

As the fight against organized crime continues, Batman, young district attorney Harvey Dent and Lieutenant Jim Gordon became the force to be reckoned with. On the edge of destroying all thugs and gangs in Gotham, a psychopathic criminal called the Joker presented himself to the underground world claiming that he has the power of killing Batman.

Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is surprisingly believable, it reminds me of Al Pacino in Scarface. I would say that he's giving Jack Nicholson a run for his money for being the best Joker ever. And if I didn't know who Harvey Dent is, I might have fallen for the charming and handsome Aaron Eckhart. There was a scene filmed in Hong Kong that did not show the city or its people in a bad light which I appreciated.

The big difference between this series of Batman and the previous ones is that, this Batman seems to be more martial arts-oriented than gadget-oriented. Not that there were no gadget introduced in this film, but I remember some batman do everything with some sort of gadget and this batman seems to fight a lot. Also, instead of the doom and gloom view on people of previous Batmen, this one seems to have a message in itself that if given the chance, people (including Batman himself) will choose to do the right thing.

The only thing that bothered me a little was that it was a little slow towards the end. Well, that and also Christian Bale's chin. A-


Rest in Peace, Heath. You were great. I would always have a fond memory of you.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP