Music Review: Duffy's "Rockferry"

>> Tuesday, May 13, 2008



Well here it is, Duffy's much anticipated debut album is finally released in the US today. I hate to reiterate this, but when I first heard Duffy, I really think she was discovered to replace Amy Winehouse just because of Amy's erratic behavior, I'm pretty sure a lot of people are just waiting for the talented star to overdose now. And I'm surprise to find out that Duffy that another star called Adele and her were deemed as the New Amys, proving that I wasn't that far off. (Plus, Duffy's first name is really Aimee.)

The album itself is a short 10-tracker that has decidedly gone retro with a 60s Motown vibe. I've arranged my singer on my iTunes alphabetically and after listening to Rockferry the first time, I was surprised that how it has gone into Dusty Springfield smoothly unnoticed. Duffy's voice is sweet, a bit of a coarse texture, altogether soulful. Given a different personality she might be able to do grunge, but for a 23 years old she went into sweet puppy love type of a soul album, almost Petula Clark like.

We have already sampled Warwick Avenue on here, it is a very sad touching tune. Mercy is as catchy as Rehab and with similar bass lines. Stepping Stone has a very elegant sound to it which is really pleasing to the ear. I'm Scared is a sweet "Dear Diary" kinda song.

All in all this album showcased the best sounds of the 60s and prove that Duffy's very talented in her own rite. It is an excellent and successful debut. It'll be interesting to see where she'll take us and watch her grow up from this sweet little girl perspective. B+

Favorite songs: Warwick Avenue, Stepping Stone, Mercy


Stepping Stone (Live) on Later with Jools

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP