Movie Review: Indiana Jones 4

>> Tuesday, May 27, 2008



It's a Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas movie! Go see it! The End! Well, I wish I could be that lazy but of course I have to make it about myself to fulfill my egomaniac self. I don't remember when's the last time I saw the last Indiana Jones, it has got to be right around 1989. That would be 20 years ago, so don't ask me about any plotlines or one-liners. Although I always remember the one thing I have in common with Indiana Jones; we are both scared of snakes.

While I'm excited to see another installment about this big trademark films, I'm always a little weary at the same time. Some company know name brand movieds like Indiana Jones would sell and they are only too happy to make it happen while neglecting major plotline and substance.

The first half of the movie is a bit like another Spielberg flick Michael J. Fox's Back to the Future. It's almost too cartoonish with the Greaser vs. Jock moment or the motorcycle vs. oldsmobile chase. A lot of spots are a bit unconvincing, am I really supposed to believe Indiana Jones is nuclear proof as he walks towards the mushroom cloud from the lead-lined refridgerator? So the Russian broke into Indiana Jones office but not his home? And for the first 15 minutes, I was convinced that they were looking for the corpse of Magneto.

Yes, Harrison Ford is 20 years older but he looks great. Cate Blanchett who plays a Soviet general in research of psychic warfare is also really beautiful. But we don't see a lot of fightitng action from Indiana Jones, just a lot of car chases. I don't get car chases on action while the car chase is going on. Wouldn't it make more sense to stop the car or at least slow it down while you are being shot at or while your son is swordfighting?

I guess the surprising element to this movie is the crystal skull and what it represents. Not to give too much away, although I think I've already said too much, I find it horribly odd to put that in and Indiana Jones movie. It's almost like a compliation of Spielberg movies all in one. But if you're watching this movie as a pulp fiction, it would all make so much more sense. I just wish it wasn't so slow in the beginning and Indiana Jones seems so much more easy going then he used to.

I'm glad I went to see it, but I don't think I'd miss much if I had waited for the DVD. B-

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP