Ca-Po-Yeah-Right

>> Sunday, May 18, 2008


What is this? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Well, I've looking forward to try going to a Capoeira class in my gym. (Yup, "my gym", the one that I've been paying for the whole year and never get to.) So I was excited, since I've just been to my Tai Chi boxing class, I figured it'll be so great to learn some Brazilian martial art. Not that I haven't seen Capoeira on TV before or in video games, so I have some clue. And it did say it was an all-level class, I thought it should work for a beginner like me.

So I made up my mind to try it out, got there earlier, and the instructor is out and there is this substitute teacher, an itty-bitty 19 year old emo girl. This gym is located on South Street, and it's not a rare site for punk, grunge, emo types. She told me that this class is really like a dance class with a lot of acrobatics while a guy is already jumping and tumbling on the side. (Alright, I'll be a good sport and try it out.)

The warm up session consists of stretching, some Ginga, their basic stance which is like a dance switching back and forth, some basic kicks and a 100 crunches. And then they did the full back arch (I think they call it conch), I haven't been able to do the back arch thing since I was 12. After the warm up, people start doing various cartwheels and tumbling kicks. I've noticed that these guys are either shorter and/or mostly muscular or twig-like. I understand how they can do all those things with practice, but a chicken can't fly no matter how hard it tries and I'm starting to feel like a chicken.

Although this group of people are completely yoga-nice, there's some sort of hippee quality to them. While I'm being a good sport the whole time, it's really hard for me to do cartwheels or walk on my hands and feet while arching my back, everyone gives me some pointers and very encouraging. Even the hot guys who pretend to be very macho, give me some advice on how to try the positions or saying everyone couldn't do much on their first class, while a young shorter twink walked me through every move they are doing with a smile. The kicking thing is kinda funny too, most of them had their shoes off on that dirty gym floor, and when they start kicking each other, you can see the bottoms of their feet are practically jet black.

As much as I'd like to be able to do whatever they are doing, it's quite difficult because I lack upper body strength and I think I need to shed some pounds in order for my hands to support me. Although the people are super nice, and I wouldn't mind being in the changing room with a few of those guys but I guess it's not possible right now.



Are you smarter than a 5th grader? What part of a chicken can't fly don't you understand?

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP