Movie Review: Iron Man

>> Sunday, May 04, 2008



Well, told you I was gonna go see it and I'm glad I did. Of course, I already knew the story before I went to see the film but somehow it was still very exciting.

Tony Stark, the head of the Stark Enterprises is a weapon genius and during a trip to Middle East, he got kidnapped by a militian terrorist group to develop weapons for them. Instead of developing weapons for the terrorist. Tony Stark developed a suit of armor that helped him escape. Once he returned to America, he further improved the suit and became Iron Man.

I wasn't all sold in Robert Downey Jr. playing Iron Man, part of it is like giving money to drug users, you know they'll just use it to buy more drugs. Plus, I don't really know how well he acts. But then if Keanu can play Neo, anyone can be a superhero and in all fairness Robert Downey Jr. did not disappoint. I especially like Gwenyth Paltrow playing Pepper Potts, she was really subtle playing Tony Starks assistant, I love when a major actress/actor plays a second fiddle part, same goes with Terrence Howard. I almost didn't recognize Jeff Bridges as the villain, there's a scene with him with his shirt off. It might be a body suit, but Yum!

Of course when you watch a superhero movie, you're not there for the acting, you're there for the special effects and they were fantastic. Love the sequence where he put on the suit for the very first time (love the suit), love the first flying sequence and the sequence where he fights the terrorists. They didn't disappoint. There's something that don't make much sense though. His house is tricked out with a computerized housekeeper, a voice activated computer mainframe, some other gizmos but then he has to find his house phone in one scene. There's also no notification when people entered his house unbeknownst to him. The product placement is also awkward. Burger King is awkwardly written into the scene and the Vcast phone looks too outdated for Iron Man.

Other than the special effects, I like how they write the story as if it has to do with our current war in Iraq. Just like what Rambo is to the Vietnam War, Iron Man is the perfect solution to Iraq. A one-man operation unit that will kill all of our enemies to show them who's boss. The storyline echoed in people's mind. I didn't expect to like this movie that much, but I loved it. A-

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP