Music Review - Estelle's "Shine"

>> Friday, June 27, 2008



I really like John Legend, so I got Estelle's sophomore album mostly because he produced it. It was recommended in Out magazine along with Duffy and Adele's debut album. I mean, how many first name only artists from UK are there? Are people just cutting off their last names as they go? Do we really know each other so well that we refer to each other solely on first name basis? Plus Andy Towle did mentioned the video on his blog, so here goes.

I am really appreciating the cover art and the drawing on the CD, her trench coat and the art reminded me of the Pink Panther and the introduction track called Wait a Minute (Just One Touch) either sampled the beat from the Pink Panther's theme song or it just happened to utilized New Orleans style big band Jazz which I find cute. There is always a comparison and the first thing come to mind is Diana King. It's not as severe but although this is a Hip Hop CD, there is a serious reggae vibe to it. George Michael's Faith was sampled into a charming reggae song called No Substitute Lover.

I have problem understanding how she got so many big name stars to lend their talent to her record. The gem of the album is obviously American Boy, it's a collaboration of Will.I.Am, Kanye West. It's catchy, upbeat and have lots of cute references, I'm sure we'll be hearing this song in gay bars and clubs for the next 18 months. Wyclef Jean helped on two other reggae tracks. Back in Love is a pure John Legend song only with his voice replaced by Estelle's. Even Cee-Lo from Gnarls Barkley lend his talents in Pretty Please (Love Me) which is reminiscent of a Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell collaboration.

The album is fun, but maybe I'm not feeling the reggae as much as I'd want to, I think Sean Paul and even Diana King do it better. I don't really get anything special from her voice, I'm afraid it's the type of voice that would do well in Pop. (Sorry!) But the musical talent behind the record did spruce it up real nice. Lately I see Mr. Legend's talent is kinda misused, like when he played piano man for Fergie at the Grammys (WTF? It is one thing that he wrote the song but it's the Grammy's, don't just play the piano, make it a duet!). He should really quit lending his talent for sexual favors and do something great for himself.

Again, not that I hate this album, but it's just not as exciting as it could be. C+

Favorite Tracks: American Boy, You Are, Wait A Minute (Just a Touch), No Substitute Love.


A lot of cute boys but is it me or does Kanye have too much ego?

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP