Movie Review: Wanted

>> Sunday, June 29, 2008



I was feeling a bit blue because of the whole Lucius thing and I needed to do something else to take my mind of it. (I know, I'm a whiny bitch) A friend actually invited me for a boy's night out and since I have nothing to do but free time, I said yes.

It's a night out with the Black Asian Mahjong Brigade (BAMB), other than the fact that I'm the only Asian out her last night. I should really stop calling this group BAMB since we have met several times and only played mahjong once. (Not to confuse this group with the Gay Luck Club) This group has a chat forum online and they love to argue about politics. It actually helps me to know what's going on in the world, but they love to argue for argument sake's, there are a lot of opinion from them and I can get up to 70 e-mails in a very short period of time. So I unsubscribed to the e-mails and just check what they are talking about periodically.

They are all nice people, I got there a little bit late and they already ordered, we had quite a big meal, talked about different TV shows, boys, we kept checking out a cute line cook in the kitchen trying to decide whether he's Asian or Latino. By the end of the meal, all 5 of us shared a giant piece of mile high ice cream pie swimming in chocolate caramel sauce.

Afterwards we went to see Wanted, it's one of those action flicks that looked really good in commercials. I have never seen so much flying cars and curving bullets before. The basis is very much like the Matrix, but about assassins. (I love the word Assassins, there are so many "ass"es.) Angelina Jolie is in it, and also Morgan Freeman and James McAvoy. (I always confuses James McAvoy and Shia LaBeouf) It's about a group of assassins that have existed for 1,000 years called the Fraternity who just lost one of their members and have to train his son to replace him. There's some sex, foul language and a huge amount of violence, which I'm ok with but I can't help but wonder how the 7 year old boy sitting right next to me is going to take it. It is R-rated.

There are a lot of thrills and it is one of those movies that don't require a lot of brain mass to process. Angelina is cool, collected and as sexy as always. There are a lot of things in the movie that wasn't explained as throughoutly as I like it to but I always overthink the minor details anyway. (Huh? They get the name of their next target from a fabric machine?) But just watching the actions and Morgan Freeman cursing is almost worth the $10.

We all thought the movie was a lot of fun, if you're in for a night of brainless action or if you're a Jolie fan it is worth renting it when it comes out on DVD. Maybe I'll go for a Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E binge tomorrow. I got the feeling that The Love Guru is best left for DVD as well. C+

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP