Music Review - Adele's "19"

>> Tuesday, June 10, 2008



To complete my set of the "New Amys", I got Adele's CD 19 first thing this morning and burned it into my iPod along with N.E.R.D.'s Seeing Sound. I'm still waiting for something spectacular coming from Pharrell, but Adele was wonderful.

Given how Amy Winehouse bowed out a Bond track to Beyonce (a Bond track!?!), it's nice to see another British singer who can channeled the sound of the 60s and belched out an album worthy of Dusty Springfield or Etta James. I'm sorry but I'm not tired of this music fad yet. Adele has a coarse brash voice that reminds me of Bette Midler and Mama Cass. I know it's horrible of me to compare a girl to Mama Cass, but she really does remind me of her. Other than a remake of Bob Dylan's Make You Feel My Love, she has written all of her songs. It proves that she's not just another run of the mill pop star wannabes.

"19" is decidedly jazzy with some sprinkles of blues and soul, full of love songs. There is a light easy listening air about "Daydreamer". "Best For Last" is a very upbeat, jazzy and cool love song and so is "My Same". "Melt My Heart to Stone" is a great emotional filled ballad. Produced by Mark Ronson and Eg White, you can definitely detect the traces of Amy Winehouse in "Right as Rain", but the heart of the album lies in a song called "Hometown Glory" about her life in Tottenham. There is also a second CD in this album that contains some live recordings of her performance at the Hotel Cafe in LA.

We all know how these young folks have the need to experience life and usually end up crashing and burning, I hope she can survive fame. But god, this girl is only 19! (Well she had turned 20 since, but still.) If this is the quality of her debut album, I foresee good things coming for her. B-

Favorite Songs: "Chasing Pavements (Live)", "Melt My Heart to Stone", "Hometown Glory", "Best For Last", "Make You Feel My Love".


Hometown Glory


Make You Feel My Love

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP