I Survived the Wheel of Doom

>> Friday, June 06, 2008



So last weekend, WizardWorld is in town. I didn't know what WizardWorld was until a few online friend and my neighbor upstairs had recommended that I check it out. It is the biggest comic book convention around my neck of the woods and it was huge. I really wasn't going to go. Not that I wasn't interested, I just don't think that my love of comic books had reached a fanatic level that I would know much at the convention. But NeighborBear had gotten me the volume 1 of the Witchblade collection and I have an addictive personality, so I went there hoping to get the rest of the story.

WizardWorld is a 3 day convention, full of comic book vendors, major comic promoters, artists, gamers, and other enthusiasts, in other words, nerds of all ages. :) Most attendees are white, middle-age, bald, chubby dudes with facial hair and others are a combination of that (myself included). Of course there are girlfriends or kids of these guys, in rare cases, I saw one or two good looking muscle studs. I wonder if they are hero wannabes.

There are comic books everywhere, toys, collectibles, and tons of lightsabers. People in costumes who posed for cameras. A game area where people duel for a game of Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Giant posters and action figures... I'm quite overwhelmed, there were any place where my eyes can rest. Familiar characters are everywhere. I went up and down on aisles of artists, sitting behind a row of tables giving out autographs. I have no clue who they are.

I finally stopped in a line that leads to the wheel of doom, where you get freebies after answering a question. Two comic genius is holding the ford, you can name any category of anything and they can come up with a question to stump you, and it doesn't even have to do with comic books. I waited in line for like half an hour, worrying that I don't know enough to answer a question correctly. Sure, I can name whatever category I'd like and if I answer it wrong I'll just have to take a dare, but I do have some pride. I could say 'gay sex' and they probably wouldn't be able to come up with anything too difficult, but I chose 'X-men', and the geniuses asked me to name 3 of the 5 original X-men. That's it? I can name all 5 in my sleep. I spun the wheel and landed on one comic book, not the extravagant plushy toys or any action figure, but after they searched and searched they gave me a reprint of a classic X-men comic. I was thrilled, but I gave it to NeighborBear afterwards, he'll get more out of that than I ever could have.

So I got my Witchblades, and got a buy 2 get 1 free discount, but the $28 entrance fee kinda chapped my ass.


How do you find anything?


Attention whores


Love painting on the floor!


Nerds and light sabers...


By the way, the five original X-men are: Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman and Marvel Girl (aka Jean Grey). I almost said Archangel instead of Angel, which would be wrong.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP