The Ultimate Drag Show

>> Friday, August 22, 2008

Due to a Mahjong game on Wednesday and last night's movie, I wasn't able to watch Project Runway until very late last night. Yeah, I taped it. I'm such a dork fan that I have to avoid TLo's Project Rungay website, so I don't see the costumes and the results. I'm glad I've taped it though because it is, like, the best episode ever!

I doubt that anyone wouldn't know what Project Runway is, it's the crown jewel of Bravo's attempt to turning itself into a gay channel and I think I've mentioned the show on my blog several times. A bunch of fashion designers doing challenges in hope to get a million dollars to start their own line. This week's challenge is to design for drag queens! (Come on, you've got to love that.) And they are not even any drag queens, some of them are quite famous. Just by myself, I've recognized Varla Jean Merman from Girls Will Be Girls, Heather Lettuce, and Sweetie. It was exciting for me and I don't really know why. I've stated before that I'm not into gender illusionists, but maybe after listening to a few episodes of Jonny McGovern's Podcasts and watching a few gay films featuring hilarious drag queen comedians, my attitude has changed.

It's not an easy task to design for drag queens. They are big, they are tall, they are over the top, plus most of them design their own costumes, so they know a thing or two about sewing. They have their own signature styles and they have got the biggest attitude and will let you know about if they think your design is whack. It makes for a very entertaining episode, and you know that's the case when you see last season's Chris March walking down the runway wearing this:


Come on, disco boobs, Rapunzel hair and sharp viking horn helmet? How can you not love the episode already? (Image from the RunGays)

Other than Suede confronting his client for criticizing his design too much, the episode was actually quite uneventful. (Doesn't he know not to do that? You're puting your life in danger. Good thing Heather took the high road.) I was a little bothered by the drag performers showing up as regular men during one of the measuring sessions. It might have been an effort to normalize drag performers, as they are regular people too. But it destroyed the fantasy and illusions, and then what do you have?

Well anyway, here are the designs:

The Winner:



Worn by the fabulous Varla Jean Merman. Of course, she corrected a few errors and came out with the sailor theme and jewelry, so designer Joe kinda lucked out. With a vibrant personality like Varla Jean, you can throw a pile of shit on her and she'll still sell them like hotcakes. It's a sure win. Keith who picked models first must have been blind.

The Auf'd:



It's not a bad dress, I don't even think it's bad for a drag queen. I think Daniel got auf'd because of his shitty attitude and the guy kinda deserved it. If everything is beneath him then why is he even on the show? Doesn't he realize that this is kinda a game show?

The Honorable Mentions:


They are pretty, glamorous. I get it.

The Bizarres:


The "Geisha-on-acid" look fits the personality portrayed by Acid Betty and it was one of the top 3 this week but I can't say I love it. The Jurassic Park pterodactyl look is too over the top. Wings? Blayne could have done better with fringe hanging off sleeves.


The black and white dress is the other bottom two contestant this week and it kinda deserved it. Heather Lettuce's outfit was a bit of a mess, I think Suede was trying to make her look like Savoy cabbage and it turns out a bit Flintstones-like, and those little lettuce flowers on the sleeves are kinda ugly. It would have been one of my bottom design.

The Rest:



No big problems, and nothing really special either. The last design sorta looks like a pinata though, hope no one's gonna beat her up with a bat.

RuPaul is a very appropriate guest judge but is there anything wrong with her? She looks different. Is it the lighting, the make up, or is she wasting away?



All in all, I have to say, it's one of the best episodes so far.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP