2008 Olympics Closings

>> Monday, August 25, 2008



It's finally over.

I think 16 days is just right for an affair with the Olympics, I mean how long is a summer fling suppose to last anyway? Any more of it and it'll start getting weary. I have to say I have never enjoyed myself so much watching it though.

We have had our fun, Michael Phelps is probably the biggest star this time around getting his eight golds. His mom also became a star, starring at a Johnson commercial now. Unfortunately, the Chinese lost the gold medal of the 10M diving event but cute Australian gay boy Matthew Mitcham took it, which is equally as good.


The boyfriend is quite cute.

Although the United States has gotten the most medals, China has gotten the most gold, so I guess both of them had achieved their goals. I'm surprised that no matter how long the Chinese has been living in whatever country, or even the ones born in foreign countries will still root for team China. Case and point my new found Chinese friends, fans of female beach volleyball and volleyball, screaming and yelling at the TV for the Chinese to win. Although if you've told me that the Chinese are good at sports when I was growing up I would have laughed. Too bad they lost in the volleyballs, but we still had a great time watching the matches.

There seems to have a lost of mishap at this Olympics. Expected stars like Chinese hurdler Liu Xiang pulled out of the finals because of his achilles injury. American hurdler Lolo Jones (love that name), fail to clear her hurdles and lost. There were also a lot of falling down from the gymnastic floors. I did enjoy watching the various hunky male gymnasts and divers though. Oh and a few volleyball players are amazingly hot. (Unlike divers and gymnasts, they are tall, really tall and I have a weak spot for tall guys.)


Lolo had quite the 'tude before she tripped, maybe she should have lost her shades?

I was also surprised to see how many Chinese coaches are coaching in other countries. Shawn Johnson's coach Liang Chow moved from China to West Des Moines, Iowa to open up a gymnastics and dance institute where he met Shawn. (West Des Moines? Really?) US Olympics female volleyball coach is none other than Lang Ping, the star of the Chinese Olympics team back in the 80s, I remember watching her play growing up. (Sell Out!) I was joking with some friends that the Chinese never 'buy' athletes and coaches from other countries, which my friends replied "That's because we have 1.3 billion people." But apparently we were all wrong, we did hire a Russian coach for the Chinese rhythmic gymnastic team who earned us silvers.

I'm pretty sure it was a very good thing for the Chinese to have hosted the Olympics. At least they tried to make everything more presentable. They forced the whole city to learned some English, stopped the factory for two years to halt the air pollution. The Chinese and their will to save face must have built and implemented tons of new things. Although I have to wonder what will happen to the water cube or the bird's nest now that the whole thing is over. Are they gonna turn them into amusement parks?

Now that it's over, I'm dreading the political coverage of the coming presidential elections. All the BS will start blowing on every channel. Can't wait for November.


And yes Jackie Chan is also a singer in China, I promise not to laugh at your Paris Hilton or your George Bush, if you don't laugh at Jackie Chan. (Oops, too late.)

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP