The Rise and Fall of Communities

>> Monday, August 18, 2008

It started with a copy of Out magazine. CuteCub and I were hanging out and we were discussing about the unrealistic portrait of the gay lifestyle in those glossy magazines and cruising websites. Not every gay guy has the money and means to wear designer clothing, not every gay guy has the mean or the will to follow circuit parties and travel to exotic locations for vacation. Some of us have low incomes, flabby bodies and average looks. Some of us don't have the will to starve ourselves into fashion optimum figures. (Is that why the Out Magazine group along with the other business doing so poorly?)

CuteCub was skeptical of the gay community, "What community? To be a community you have to encompass everything in the general society. A few bars here and there hardly makes a community." And stereotype are just that, not every gay is into dance music, interior decorating and Martha Stewart. While I get his points, I still hope that there is some sort of comraderie if not anything else. Apparently CuteCub is not for gay marriage either, unless there is some sort of recognized benefit attached to it. I used to think the same way, if two people are truly in love with each other, you don't need outside recognition. But as I'm getting older, I seek security and acknowledgment. If you say you love me, I want it to be hard for you to change your mind. I also feel that the act of marriage, from proposal to honeymoon is extremely romantic and I can be a sucker for romance.

The Gay Luck Club people held their first event Saturday night. It went well, there were about 60 people in attendance and it did turn out to be a pool party even though initially the building wouldn't let us use the pool area. It was nice to meet new people, although a lot of Asian or White twinks alike giving attitude but I'm old enough to let people be. With the revelation I had a few weeks ago (people are what makes life meaningful), I know my need to surround myself with good people and I'm glad I have a good base to start with. If it is as CuteCub said that there is no gay community, all of us are responsible for building our own and I'll have to stop pussyfooting around.

To live life to its fullest.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP