No More Mr. Nice Gay

>> Wednesday, November 19, 2008



Feel good movie of the year, that's why I was surprised to find out that it's produce by the other side as evident on how violent and intolerant the gays are for chasing them out of a public space while they were doing nothing but singing hymns, right.

As I've said before, I've always hated (strong word, but yes) the anti-gay demonstrators in all the pride events who have a loud speaker shouting hate speech during in gay neighborhoods. Yes, they have the rights to say what they want to say, but it's crossing the line when I'm supposed to enjoy my time and yet getting yelled at. It's a way to lower my quality of life just because of my sexual preference. I don't go in front of their churches every Sunday, yelling at their bigotry, maybe we should start doing that? I'm always tempted to get some loud speakers for me and others to surrounding that particular group and start yelling back. So when we got to do that last Saturday, I was thrilled.

The conventional wisdom is that these people are not worth it, we are just going to waste our breath. Gay people as a group are too nice, we take the high road way too often or maybe some of us are actually ashamed to be gay, but if our oppressor don't get any resistance from us, why would they stop oppressing us? If a bully at school take our lunch money away everyday and we don't even say a word, why would they not continue doing that? Are we waiting for others to pity us until they give us our rights? How do we suppose that would work?

There have been talk about organization like the Human Rights Campaign have not been doing anything but asking for donations, at a time like this when we clearly need organization for protests or a spokesman to go on TV show to debate and exert the importance of equal rights, and instead we get Dan Savage, Michelangelo Signorile, Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar. Not that there's anything wrong with Dan Savage or the others, but what is the Human Rights Campaign doing with all their received donations at this crucial time? Regrettably the last news I've heard from them is with their exclusion of Transgendered rights which spewed a fight with the transgendered community. I'm afraid during this bad economy that organization might not last long with their inaction.

While I'm not advocating for violence (or maybe I am), where are our gym bunnies and the roidheads when we need them? We have to get ourselves organized and do more in this crucial time for change. The gays are pitched against Blacks right now and at the end we will all be brushed off as minority issued that concerns no one. I'm surprised to hear Mike Huckabee say that the gays haven't been oppressed or at least not with violence. Maybe that just means he haven't actively participate in the killing of Harvey Milk or Matthew Sheppard amongst other gay bashing incidents and how dare we compare our agenda to the civil rights movement that African-Americans faced. What does it say about this country that some of us still have to fight for equality?

I'm skeptical of what One Day Without Gays might bring, since the Latinos just did that not long ago and it hasn't gotten them anywhere and I'm pretty sure that the urge to protest will just die down from here. Other than boycotting business that donated to Yes On 8, there isn't much any of us can do but to wait for actions from our government which moves at a slow pace. Maybe I should go back to my Tai Chi boxing class, just in case.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP