Henri David Halloween Ball 2008

>> Sunday, November 02, 2008



I'm officially naming this year my very first Halloween. I've had so much fun Friday night, we started off hosting a fundraiser for a local HIV/AIDS group and I was complemented as I walking down the street, which I guess started my night right. Other than some snafu with the raffle prizes, we did pretty good. SV brought 3 Spiderman costumes for himself and two friends, we kept made fun of him that he should be stuffing his crotch a lot more, but he insisted that he'll have his mask on all night so nobody would be able to tell who he is so it wouldn't matter. But still... lol.

The two most impressive costumes of our party would probably be from Dennis, the iPhone and this guy's Mariachi Mummer style one:


From Left to Right: Pierre, Dennis, CL and the Mariachi Mummer.

When we get to the Henri David ball, there were already tons of people in very elaborate costumes. I was a bit shocked and awed. I guess it is the local version of New York, LA or SF's Halloween Parade, we just rounded the folks up and put them in a hotel. I didn't know people invest that much time and effort in something that only happen once a year but I really appreciated everyone's costumes. Within 5 minutes, I got approached by this handsome devil for a photo:



In no way am I flattered, since I have heavy make up on. But I guess my costume speaks to certain people, especially for the one's who know what a Chinese vampire is, then they like my costume a lot, but not everyone get the cultural reference, a jackass reporter from a local gay newspaper said out loud "I wonder if I should tell that guy that he has a tag coming out from his forehead." Some people should just shut the hell up if they don't want to sound stupid, but maybe next year I will do something not so obscure to please the general public.

With the elections coming up in a few days, the costumes are getting more political than usual. Not that I have any previous data to compare it to but you can imagine how many Sarah Palins were out there this year, I'd like to see one doing that American flag bikini, gold heels with an AK-47 look and I'm surprised that no one is doing it.





Other than that, there's a contest stared around midnight where people go up on stage and compete in different categories. Most Hilarious, Most Creative Couples, Most Celebrity Resemblance, Most Decadence, Most Horrifying, Best Period Costume, Most Convincing Female Impersonator, Most Beautiful Female Impersonator and Most Spectacular. People were walking mighty fast and my little camera phone is too slow to catch a clear picture so I don't have anything for most of them. I'm especially angry at myself for not getting the spectacular 10 person entourage for Queen Elizabeth. Very well done, but they zoomed in the venue and left immediately after their win for Best Period which I was also tempted to go up even though I know I definitely would lose but I was too shy. Oops, just found someone who managed to snap a shot here:





From Left to Right: One-man Elephant - Winner of Most Spectacular, Batwoman - Winner of Most Beautiful Female Impersonator and CL with the Pizza Killers - Winner of Most Horrifying.


Toy Soldier - Winner of Most Decadent, who I find strangely erotic, and The Swamp Thing - Contender of Most Spectacular who got a consolation prize from Henri David, notice that he's sprouting red.

Afterwards, we went to Chinatown for dinner and the waitress ladies were all over me and my costume, which made me feel really good. lol. It was an amazing night and I wish that I would be drunk or at least buzzed, but not a drop of alcohol was in me. Hope I don't turn into an alcoholic. I should have gone clubbing.

Some pictures in this post are borrowed from Vincent J. Brown's Flickr album.

I also have more pics in my Flickr album which contains more creative and outrageous costumes.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP