Infomercials

>> Sunday, November 09, 2008



I don't usually pay attention to any commercials, I would usually change the channel whenever they come on. Maybe subconsciously it had swayed me when I'm at the supermarket, but I had to say commercials have minimal effects on me. I don't watch the Home Shopping Network or QVC, I find it too boring and I honestly don't have money to buy things I don't need.

Since it has gotten cold out, I have seen more pest activities in my apartment. Little mice, harmless but I'm used to living alone and intend to keep it that way. When Principe was still with me, he was in charge of pest control. I think 2005 was the year that we first saw any pests, maybe there were too much constructions going on in the city or maybe we had one too many flood. ES who lived all the way across town around 20 blocks away started having pests as well. We started using glue traps, although sometimes it can be messy and annoying as they sticks to other surfaces they were easy to set. The downside being that the mice don't actually die and they scream in the middle of the night when caught or some would eventually struggle off it, neither me or Principe would want to get close to the one who get stuck so it's just worst.

Later we changed for the spring traps, a lot more effective than glue traps but it's a pain to set them. Let's just say I'm a coward, so since Principe left I haven't been able to do anything. It's not like they have been showing up much until recently, so while seeing a commercial about a product called Riddex on TV that offers a clean and safe way to "irritate" the mice away I went online and ordered the product immediately thinking that I wouldn't have to deal with mice or roaches from now on.

The website and commercial said that the product costs only $19.99. Upon filling the form up with my credit card information and click order, it added $25.00 shipping and handling fee to the order without saying anything ahead. It prompted me to press a button to confirm. I thought $25.00 is too much, so I closed my browser up thinking that it will not get through but sure enough 2 weeks later, I get the products in the mail. I thought the order didn't went through since $25 sounds expensive enough to ship it with next day air and it should not have took two weeks.

Anyway, I figured since it's here I'll try it out but they don't work. You're supposed to plug it into a wall jack and it'd disperse electrical energy or some crazy ultrasound thing to chase the mice away. I know, the technology sounds too iffy to start with, but I thought it'd be illegal for them to scam people on TV. What do I know? It's basically just a tiny box with flashing lights, a mouse passed by it like nothing happened. I bought the new D-con twisting box which is much easier to set and dispose but so far it has caught diddly squat.

Talking about infomercials, I saw this on BBC America:



I can't help but laugh my butt off this one. It's called Snuggie which is a blanket with sleeves and short enough that you can walk around with it. Basically a bath robe wore the wrong way. And all the reasoning for a product like that are stupid... a blanket slip down too easily. Seriously WTF? The people wearing them look stupid too. They either look like they are aliens from those 70s TV shows or they are Klan members. Apparently somebody else feels the same way:



I mean if you can handle a blanket maybe you shouldn't be ordering anything. Just don't buy anything from these infomercials, it's where bad ideas goes to die.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP