How Another Revolution Get Started

>> Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I've read a few analysis on why Proposition 8 had passed:

Black voters: This is the first election that we have an African-American presidential candidate, which encouraged a lot of African-American voters to come out and vote. And seventy percent of black voters came out in support of proposition 8. Some implied that if it wasn't for an African-American candidate, Proposition 8 wouldn't have passed. As Jon Stewart had said "It appears that the oppressee had become the oppressor." To think that if any one group of people would understand the harm of discrimination, it would be a minority person. Apparently no one learns from history, they should seriously consider cutting off that subject in school and reinstate the music programs, at least it helps people to learn math.

Religion and Mormon funders: The reason on why Black voters and Hispanic voters go for Prop 8 is because these populations are usually highly associated with religion, Christianity to be more specific. I never understood why, since Christianity itself did not originate from their lands. If the white folks had came to my land and killed my people and brainwash me with what they believed in as a way of education, I would have been very skeptical and reluctant. I would have been killed of course, but I wouldn't have believed that it's their god's will to kill my people and enslave me. Religion had been used as an excuse for a lot of death, they might apologize for Galileo's death hundreds of years later and people would still believe in it but to me the more I learn the less credibility I have and don't get me started on Mormonism, that's just plain stupid. Are they trying to cause a stir to justify their own existence? (Although those guys in the Mormon calendar were quite hot.)

Confusing voting procedures: I don't know whether it was intentional but it is outrageously difficult to vote. First of all, 'Yes' on Prop 8 means banning gay marriage and 'No' on Prop 8 means refusing to ban gay marriage, I find this 'Yes' means No, 'No' means Yes thing stupid. You have to be very aware on gay issues to know how to vote and to the general public, it can be challenging.

Other than that as Rachel Maddow had pointed out poor people can't afford to stand in line for 3+ hours for their turns to vote. Tim Robbins got turned away from the voting place he had been voting for the past decade, his name simply disappeared and apparently he is not the only one, it happened once every 12 minutes. Uncalibrated machines that turns your vote from one choice to another, and this:



It is obviously designed to confuse. Given not is related to Prop 8, but how difficult should voting be? And even though your vote went in, it doesn't guarantee that it would be counted.

I am, of course, very disappointed that Prop 8 had passed, not because I want to get married anytime soon but since W. had became the president watching an important election is like watch an episode of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader. I can't believe the amount of prejudice that exists. Much like people though Obama is a terrorist and yelling "Kill Him.", I can't believe how ignorant people can be and to a point that the ignorance would turn them angry towards an issue.

Maybe it's a good thing that Prop 8 had passed, I always thought the best thing to unite a group of people is to have a common enemy. Religious people and the right wing succeed because they like rules and structure and that makes them good at organizing. While the left wing and liberalists are too free-loving for their own good. To have an injustice in California might wake up every fags and others to roam the streets and voice their opinions. Rather than waiting for gay marriage to get passed state by state, since we have just elected a new president that represents change, we might as well got them done all at once. It's time, the perfect time, for us to fight back.

This coming Saturday, November 15th, is the day for National Protest Against Prop 8. Protests are going to be held simultaneously at 10:30 PST/1:30 EST in cities all around the country, for location details please visit here. If I'm paying the same amount of tax, I should have equal rights, isn't that what consumerism is all about? Imagine if they allow gay people to not pay school tax because we can't adopt or have children, how many straight folks will pretend to be gay just to get that benefit.

Like I said, even though I'm not eager to get married, I'll be damned to be told what I can or cannot do. I'm leaving you with wise words from Keith Olbermann:


If I only have TiVo...

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP