Making Up My Mind

>> Friday, November 07, 2008



From watching True Blood and how Prop 8 unfolds, I was reminded about the power of faith. It's a constant struggle between good and evil. You have your gods and demons and your sickness and bad luck are due to evil spirits and some kind of exorcism are performed on you. Usually with bells and drums or some kind of heavy objects banging on your forehead until the evil desist. Other than the traumatic experience of watching The Exorcist when I was 6, I actually have seen an exorcism performed on my mother when she was terminally ill with cancer. Of course, that didn't work nor did her new found faith in Christianity. It worked for some other cancer patient, but not on her. I guess you really have to believe in it to make the healing work, not just saying so. I guess faith healing is for the ones that truly have faith. I'm like my mom, we're both too skeptical and mentally incapable to cut out our doubts. I can embrace simple concepts like Karma but the little facts and fantastic stories that comes with it are a bit too much to handle.

I was talking to my friend about my hope of moving to California because my experience out there is very different from my life here in the East Coast. People here are more reserved and defensive, they don't act friendly easily. I find people out west are a lot friendlier, plus there are a lot more Asians and gays which makes people more accepting on folks like me. At least they don't seem to ignore me because stereotypical Asians around here can't communicate.

My friend, however, thinks differently and said that it is all just a state of mind. When people are out traveling they have a different viewpoint, a more relaxed and excited mental state which affects our communication styles and tend to be open on meeting new people. There are also the fresh meat factor; a new face in a new place always draws more attention, so you're more likely to feel good in a new place when everything is fresh. But then if you actually live in that place, you will eventually return to your usual self.

There might be some truth to it, I just thought if I really believe that my outlook will change then it will happen just like faith healing. That, or maybe I should move every 3-4 years to keep the excitement going. I think for me faith is more about making up your mind and do it, then the actual belief of a higher power.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP