Music Review: John Legend's "Evolver"

>> Friday, October 31, 2008



Love it. Go get it.

Well, how do I expand this into a full entry? Um... I really, really like it and you probably would too?

Let me try again. Back in 2006, I got a copy of Once Again in Starbucks, listened to it and fully enjoyed it. So I backtracked and got his debut album Get Lifted, and fully enjoyed it as well. Usually a lot of "artists" only have enough juice to lasts one or two album at most, so I'm pleasantly relieved to find that his talent expand beyond just like I thought he would. Ok, enough fluffing although he IS freaking hot.

John Legend's third album Evolver is a 13-track album that left me wanting more after listening to it. Its first single Green Light is really upbeat and catchy, Andre 3000 from Outkast or maybe Will.I.Am gave it a brilliant beat, although I have some problem with Andre's freestyling rap. Compare to Andre, Kanye West's rap in It's Over sounds way better, and the track is really catchy as well, it's groove actually gave me goosebumps. Although John's subjects seemed to be heartbreaks all the time, I still would categorize his music as feel good music. It's just so smooth.

Continuing from his last album mysterious girl named Maxine, this album still laments on (his?) breakup. I'm starting to thinking John might have an addictive personality and if Maxine is really that drop dead gorgeous. Everybody Knows and This Time are strong ballads still wondering about if he can give his relationship "One More Try". Surprisingly, he brought back Brandy in a duet called Quickly that reminisces Full Moon and kept me wondering why Brandy's not singing much anymore. Also surprisingly, John seems to have a better grasp on Reggae than his protege Estelle in No Other Love.

I guess I like John Legend because of his sexy voice and his music style is quite retro Motown in that it feels like you have listened to his songs before but it's done with such sophistication and a modern twist that make them memorable. Satisfaction for example got simple beats and lyrics that makes you think you'd be able to sing along after listening for the first time. Don't get me wrong, the music arrangements are in no way inferior or mundane. Although Take Me Away sounds to be a potential resort commercial song for Sandals or the Carribean Cruise. Good Morning is a lazy morning stay-in-bed with your lover kinda song, I'll file it next to the Singing in the Rain one. I Love, You Love could content to be the best sex music since Boyz II Men's I'll Make Love To You. If You're Out There speaks like a campaign song that encourage people to vote , ending with a big gospel choir in the background, just in time to be published before November 4th.

The only song that's a bit awkward other than I Love You Love is Cross The Line. Cross The Line crossed the line for me because it's about telling his best friend that he wants to have sex with her and it's a bit too much for me because it's a bit perv-y. His songs are already very sexual with PDA and hooking up with ladies in the club and unrequited love and all. I know supposedly that men are dogs but do we have to hump everybody including our best friends?

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this album. It's not everyday that you get something this high quality. B+

Favorite Songs: It's Over, Green Light, Quickly, Everybody Knows.


Green Light

Oh I almost forgot... Happy Halloween!!!

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP