Making It Work

>> Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sorry for disappearing for a few days, I'm fine so you can call out the search parties. It's not that I don't have anything to write, but I've been busy making my Halloween costume. The Gay Luck Club is hosting a Halloween fundraiser for the local Asian HIV/AIDS organization and dressing up is mandatory, so I thought since it's my very first Halloween party, I might as well go all out and make the most out of it.

So I thought I'm gonna be a Chinese Vampire. A stereotypical Chinese Vampire if there is such a thing, comes from Tao stories where brainless dead corpse would come back to life and such the life essence (or chi, but not blood) from the living. Stereotypically, these vampire are brainless like zombies but they are generally evil and in the movies I grow up watching, they'd wear government uniform from the Ching dynasty. Since they are stiff corpse, their movement is reduced to extending their arms in front of them and hopping around, but of course they can jump pretty far Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style.


Exhibit A - Cute Version

So I've got this Chinese style black silk short sleeve with authentic rope buttons that I bought from Shanghai Tang a few years ago when I felt eccentric and I have never been able to find an event to wear it, so I thought that would be a good top, if I can find a proper skirt or two aprons and some accessories accompanying it, I might just have a proper outfit. So I was looking around and found a polyester graduation robe at the AIDS thrift store, then I bought one yard of blue/gold Asian looking fabric for trims at Philly's fabric row, A Chinese-y hat, wood beads necklace, cloth shoes and some embroidery in Chinatown, peacock feather, safety pins, sewing needles and a black bobbin from the local art & craft store and this is what I've got:



I also bought some make up and vampire teeth, so the final look will be different, but the robe should seriously look more like this:



I was slaving away hand sewing everything, my grade school HomEc class did me good. Back then everyone had to choose an extra curriculum activities and I hated sports, so it took me a long time to make up my mind and when I have my mind made up, everything was full and all that is left is Home Economics, we spent a lot of time sewing little purses and all. Developing for my future sweatshop career which have yet to be fulfilled.



Oh and the Phillies won, I didn't know anything about baseball until this season. It was actually quite exciting. Lucius told me that a major win like this could cause some rioting, looting, people flipping cars and burning them. I don't get it, but I was a little worried. Thankfully from the 3-minute walk to the supermarket earlier, nothing seemed to have happened, but then I don't watch the news, so I can't say for sure. (Oops, forget that. A friend just told me that people smashed windows from all the stores along our major streets.)

Tomorrow night I'd be attending the fund-raiser and the gay Halloween ball in town. Maybe I'd be able to report some more.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP