Movie Review: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

>> Tuesday, January 06, 2009



The second half of my double header belongs to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I think I saw the preview of it some months ago and I was intrigued by the plot; A man born old and growing younger. It looked like a good film, my friends were worried about the film being too much of a chick flick while I was hoping it to be a bit more Forrest Gump-y. The end result is a moderate medium.

While Brad Pitt is not quite my type, he's not bad to look at and I doubt that anyone will kick him out of bed, even the presumable straight guys. But then I have not been putting him in the ranks of serious actress like Cate Blanchett. Brad plays Benjamin Button who was born in a rich family in New Orleans 1914 as a old baby. His mom died during childbirth and the father was horrified and abandoned him in the front step of an old folks home. (The opening reminded me of Wicked, minus the musical number. Did the birth of Penguin of Batman suffers the same fate?) The owner (?) of the old folks home is a devoted African American Christian lady who accepted Benjamin and his condition and raised him as her own. He met a resident's granddaugther Daisy and fell in love with her throughout his years. The audience watch as Daisy grows older and Benjamin gets younger and younger.

After Daisy gave Benjamin a daughter, Benjamin realized that he will not be able to be his father and Daisy might not be able to raise two kids and he decided to leave. At that point, the narrative got a bit poignant. Benjamin observed that there are people who waste time to hope for change but never actually do so (like me), and it is up to anyone who seize their opportunities. Instead of waiting idly, people should just do what makes them happy. I think I'll have to concur.

There are some awkward moments in the movie, such as Cate Blanchett's narrative in her death bed, you can't have a long narrative while dying, it's very uncomfortable to the ears. The New Orleans Katrina backdrop is unnecessary and distracting. And it's never quite clear on what happened to Benjamin's sister. The film is too involved in the relationship between Benjamin and Daisy that the era and history around them got ignored. It has the potential to make it a lot greater, but it didn't get there.

If they were aiming at an Oscar, maybe Cate will get a chance. I don't think Brad's range was demonstrate in here anymore than he was in Meet Joe Black. It could be so much more. Although, maybe the make up people would get an award somehow. It's a good film, but when I was in a party celebrating my friend CL's birthday. I was asked if it's worth going to the theater to see the film. I'd say rental would be just fine. B

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP