Memory Lane is Now Available Online

>> Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One of my most vivid dreams when I was a kid was riding a magic carpet roaming the streets of London. Why London? I don't know, I've only been there once in my childhood, but I guess it must have made quite the impression in my mind. That's what I really like to do, roaming streets at night, places that I've visited before and places that I've never been. It's just thrilling.

That's what I like about Google Maps. It doesn't provide you with a night view but it let you roam free. I was looking for the street where I lived in Paris, and all the sudden I realized that there is a street view function to it. So I immediately clicked on it, I find that after 23 years, the building I lived in still look pretty much the same.



I lived on the first floor unit on the right hand side. I remember one time, my mom forgot her keys so we went up to the bushes and she held me up so I can climb up the railing and go in the apartment and fetch the keys.

The neighborhood looks much improved. Some new buildings here and there. The patisserie across the street where a bully took my handheld electronic game is no more. I traced the street where I walked to go to school and find my old school still intact. I wish I could have took a peek inside.



I also found the shopping mall where my father's restaurant is located and another place where my mom's friends lived and the restaurant they owned and where my mom went to play cards and Mahjong after hours. I wonder if they're still there. I remember they had a Chinese shrimp and black fungus salad that tasted very good. In fact I might try to recreate it later. It should be good for my low carb diet.

My old place in Providence is painted anew, I wonder my landlord still lives there. I remember his crazy bunny farm which produce dozens of bunnies annually and the kids in the neighborhood would climb in his yard to "take" some. Cute animals really, little baby bunnies set loose to terrorize the whole garden. I also found the restaurant that had the best Buffalo Wings I've ever tasted, I do wonder if it's still the same quality though.

Too bad they don't have Asia set up for viewing, or else I'll be able to see where my friends live and maybe show you guys where I lived.

Google Maps is really lots of fun.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP