DVD Review: Spice World

>> Tuesday, September 02, 2008



Rewind back to Friday night, the night before A&Y's big day, BL came over with shooters, wine, beers and DVDs so that we can have a movie night in. BL is a young Vancouver born HongKongese who became part of the Asian group in Philadelphia. He's a lot of fun, because he knows how to party and he knows how to drink, I especially appreciate the way he dresses. (One of his T-shirt features Freddy from Nightmares on Elm Street, Jason from Friday the 13th and Michael from Halloween jumping ropes and counting "1, 2, we're gonna come get you.") Even though he's not natively born in Hong Kong, he knows all the cultural references and expressions and I adore him for that. Being the rare 6 feet Asian guys that we are, we have became fast friends in a short period of time. I secretly wished that I was as intelligent and young as he is.

So after going to see The House Bunny with me, he felt the need to prove to me that he's not an art film buff and that he watches trashy movie as well. So he brought over Matthew McConaughey's Failure to Launch and his trash movie favorite Spice World. I'm afraid to admit that when the Spice Girls first came out, I swooned. All 5 girls portraying 5 different personality, it's like an RPG game. There wasn't much girls band back then and they were quite good until they got overplayed to the max and became a trend not to like them. I loved their first album, I just thought that they didn't have the material to make a good second one.

Well, I think Spice World is created as a response to the mass Spice Girls fanatics. The movie itself have not much of a plot and the whole thing seems to be quite ad-libbed. It sorta reminds me of Help by the Beatles when the paparazzi chase the girls around the city of London. There are a lot of celebrity cameos (Elton John, Roger Moore, Alan Cummings, Elvis Costello...), there are a lot of landmarks scenes, there are a lot of song and dance, but everything seems disjointed and there are not much substance.

BL says it's so bad that it becomes fabulous and he thinks even the girls know it's bad so they are really not trying to be anything. But I think it's so bad that it's terrible and I'm wondering if it's a form of BL's revenge for me to have dragged him to see the House Bunny. Although the movie is kinda shitty, I still had a great time watch DVDs with BL, We watched the Joy Luck CLub before this one which is a masterpiece and we finished with watching episodes of Weeds, I don't think I can ever get tired of that show. Now that BL is starting to be the TA and working on his PhD program, I'm afraid that we might now get to hang out as much. D-

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP