DVD Review: Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)

>> Tuesday, September 23, 2008



Sorry for missing a few days, probably since now I don't have to go to work, my activity level has decreased and I've gotten lazy.

Well, I've spent a day with my now very good friend BL on Sunday. We went to have dim sum with another friend, you always need more people for dim sum, that way you can sample a bigger variety of food without getting too full. After dim sum we went for a light grocery shopping and we seperated to do our own shopping. I've had to exchange some undies I bought during Macy's shop for a cause event and I was ecstatic that they let me do the exchange with the same discount I've received without any hassle, especially when they costs twenty-some dollars a pair. At least now I know the kind of undies I like are called Trunks, which also happened to be a Dragonball Z character, I wonder if that's because the creator of the anime loves wearing them as well.

After the exchange and a light nap, I went to his place to print out my itinerary. I don't have a printer at home, I had one but then I don't use it and it was just sitting there collecting dust and I threw it away. While we were listening to Audra McDonald's new CD, reading an article teaching me how to cruise and watching part of a DVD called Broadway's Finest Leading Ladies, our buddy CL called and said he'll drop by and asked if I mind cooking dinner. So my eyes lit up and went for groceries.

It took about an hour of cooking and another half hour to eat. The baked stuffed sage chicken and my own brand of lemon garlic parmesan pasta came out alright. I'm thinking of posting the recipe on here but I need to remember to snap a picture before doing that. With some self made Pepperidge Farm/Haagen-Daaz ice cream sandwiches at hands, we sat down to Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman (1994).

---

I always thought Ang Lee was gay, probably because he directed Wedding Banquet (1993) which is one of my favorite gay films of all time. Not many straight Asian guy will write and direct a gay movie, Brokeback Mountain in 2005 just added to my convictions. But then Ang is married to a woman with two kids, should I assume that just because he's married, it doesn't mean that he don't bat for our team?

The thing about Ang Lee that impresses me so much is that his ability to tackle modern topics with a heavy Chinese sentiments. The movie is about this retiring big time Chinese chef and his relationship with his 3 daughters which all have trouble building relationships. The first 5 minutes or so shows the high art that is Chinese cuisine with the father spending a whole day cooking a dozen of dishes for his 3 daughters and himself. BL owns the movie and he told us when he first watched it with a friend they were eating fast food or instant noodles and can't help but got discouraged by the disparity. "And the daughters are still complaining?" The movie showed how some Chinese dishes are made, I cracked up while the father blew air into a goose before roasting it. Of course, my confidence in cooking has significantly depleted from watching this movie and from eating at A&Y's.

The title "Eat Drink Man Woman" describes the basic needs of human, they are, as the movie described, the source of happiness. The oldest daughter is a stuck up high school teacher who is destined to be an old maid. The second daughter is a successful business woman who can't commit to her boyfriend and ended up breaking up with him while continuing their sexual relationship. The youngest daughter is a high schooler who ironically works at a fried chicken franchise, who looks innocent at first but not so while the movie progresses. The three girls lost their mom a few years back and their relationship with their father has deteriorated since, but things changed while their father unexpectedly falls in love.

It is a great movie with a perfect blend of comedy and drama. It is also culturally interesting even though it's predictable at times. If you don't have anything better to do, I strongly recommend you rent this one out to see it for yourself, it might make you hungry so get some popcorn or Chinese take out while you watch. A-

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP