Music Review: Jill Scott's "Live in Paris+"

>> Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Oh how I love this album! I can't express with words, I overwhelmed with a sense of joy that comes deep down within like I've witness something so great that I'm glowing afterwards. It's odd, because this is an album with a DVD from a live performance in Paris and I have heard all the song before. I bought it just because I have a gift card from Best Buy, so it is in other words, free. But Jill has managed to breath new life in all the songs through new arrangement and that voice of hers is pure heaven.

It's reminiscent of Nina Simone, she went to France and claimed it as her own. Jill Scott differs herself as an artist and not an entertainer. She clarifies by saying that there are no backup dancers on stage just "voices", "musicians" and while pointing at her musicians "talents" and talented they are. Her performance is expressed through a raise of her hand, a flick of her voice, a squint on the corner of her eyes, while the multiracial crowd swooned and intoxicated. "Sing it girl!" shouted one audience. Her subject range from sex, love, parenthood, gang violence. Her voice at times sweet, at times strong, brought out an sophisticated urban sound. I can never imagine Philadelphia, the city that I live in can produce something so beautiful or expressed in such a deep, meaningful way.

Soul is such a deep and beautiful form of music, it's a truth within so true that is waiting to come out. Jill can definitely give Aretha a run for her money. I decided then and there that Jill is my new queen, of course she doesn't need my recognition. Sweating profusely in her Jill Scott afro T-shirt, preaching her gospel to the crowd, she's already a queen. A+

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP