Music Review - Mary J. Blige's "Growing Pains" & Rufus Wainwright's "Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall"

>> Tuesday, December 18, 2007



I'm ever so fond of Mary J. Blige, as the kids would say "She is fierce!" I was deeply in love with her "Share My World" album, but after she proclaimed no more drama, I'm lost. I love her because she can use her voice to ditch out emotional extremes, and how can you cry your eyes out when there's no drama?

There are 16 tracks in her latest album "Growing Pains". My favorite songs in the Album are her first single "Work That" and a song called "Just Fine." over all it is a decent album, but one can only listen to so many songs about relationship without becoming weary. After songs after songs of over complicated arrangement and beats that at times overpowers her voice, it can be quite numbing and mundane. It lacks opportunity to showcase her best attributes, which are her voice and its range. The direction of it has gone too hip hop and pop, and in my head I wish it would go more r&b and soul. Am I being too harsh? Sorry if I am. "C"



Recently I have heard a lot of my fellow bloggers going over the hills for Rufus Wainwright. Since I wasn't very familiar with the artist and I like to listen to new stuff, I bought his latest album when I saw it on display at Borders. "Judy at Carnegie Hall" is one of Judy Garland's best live performance ever caught on tape. I bought a copy when I first learned about her, so I was very impressed to see another artist to have the guts to do a song-by-song reenactment.

Rufus can sing, really well in fact, but there's something about his voice that sounds a little shallow like he is running out of breath. Other than that I fully enjoyed the 2-disc album. Support the gay artists, I say. There is something very charming about him, but the stunner of the compilation comes from his sister Martha and her performance of "Stormy Weather". Her voice is sultry enough to melt my heart. She pretty much stole the whole show with her brilliant performance. The crowd favorite, however, is still "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I tell you we can never get over that song. "B+"

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP