The Gay Card Squad

>> Monday, December 24, 2007

I joined a gay poker network online that regularly hosts real time games and I joined a game on Saturday. Not all Asians gamble, but a lot of gamblers are Asian. Don't ask me why. Back in middle school, some of my friends and me would get together to play Mahjong and Poker. Nothing big, just a little chump change to kill some time, but I'm out of practice. Of course who's not watching those poker tournaments on ESPN, there are heavy psychology involved in poker but I don't think I'm conniving enough to pull tricks off YET.

Most games are in rural areas, so there's not an option for me since I don't drive. This game happened to be along the train line. So I signed up for it, got the address and took the train over. I got so nervous for my first game. They seemed like a friendly group, but I think I might have social anxiety and most of the time I don't know how to act in public, especially in front of strangers. The event posted as a BYOB, so I got some vitamin waters. It also mention that sometimes people bring chips and dips. So I was thinking if I should get something else. Champagne sounded festive, but what if people blame me bringing alcohol when they lose? So I opt for a big tub of honey cashews. But when I'm get there people brought homemade cookies, and no one touched the cashews.

So I started playing, it's $30 buy in and they give you 300 points of chips. I guess people were testing my skills, since it's my first time and they don't know how good I am and my play style, they were kinda hesitant towards me. Plus, I'm Asian and lots of people are put off by people of another race. They are mostly in their 40s and 50s, all white. The place was actually a home and very nice looking one. I started by winning a few hands and then losing a little, and at the end I won a huge hands. So I ended up on the second place for the night. Won $38. I think it's not too shabby for the first time. But if you subtract the train ticket, the vitamin water, the nuts and the $5 buy in for pizza, it's really not that much. We started at 7:30 and finished up around 3:30 in the morning. I didn't expect that they were so dedicated and enthusiastic. I thought we would get done around 11:30, but I really had a good time. One of them lived around me, so he drove me home. Thank god, coz the trains had stopped running around 1:00 in the morning. I really had fun, hope they have games near me more often.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP