I Don't Speak Gay Fluently

>> Tuesday, December 04, 2007

OK, I finally got the courage to go back into the bookstore next door and talk to Bookstore Guy again. Well, I actually needed an excuse and X'mas shopping for DC and JEW provided that opportunity.

Before stepping in the store, he had already seen me coming through the glass windows. He smiled and I waved. He looked cute as always. We greeted each other and I proceeded to check out the merchandise. JEW likes architecture and recently went to the Frank Lloyd Wright house near Harrisburg with his family, but I couldn't find anything inspired by him in this Bookstore/Gift Shop. He also likes fine dining and I see some glass bowls around. I can't decide whether those artsy bowls are for punch or salads. I found some wood trays that are both rustic and elegant. But acording to my online friend Cubxotic's advice, I was supposed to ask Bookstore Guy about what he likes and start small talking him up.

And that's what I did. Bookstore Guy is cute and somewhat endearing. I think he's still in his mid to late 20s, he grew a beard since I've seen him last. Toughened it up a little but he looks a bit bookish and you'd kinda want to protect him when you look into his puppy dog brown eyes. I was asking about Frank Lloyd Wright, but he told me he doesn't have much stuf in his style. He led me to the tie section, which I saw a Philadelphia street map tie. (Yes, I live in Philly.) I owned a London street map tie of the same style and I thought they only do big cities. Then I mentioned that my buddies' boyfriend likes fine dining (Hint: They are gay therefore I'm gay...) and he pulled out a little leather journals with inserts for rating restaurants. Nope, I don't think anyone would need a journal for that. Using Cubxotic's line, I ask what would really impress him. He walked over a place where little credit card sized metal toy are hanging, he told me those metal sheets can fold into a 3-D figure of person driving a car or a person sitting in the office or on a hospital bed. It certainly impresses me, but I think JEW likes more practical stuff, so I eluded to the fact that I spotted some wooden cheese and appetizers trays earlier and he says "It's good to go with your first intuition."

There's a choice between light wood or dark wood, I let him choose for me. (But of course I liked the dark one better and I'm glad he did too, can you say "Control Issues"?) And he very delicately and skillfully taking the price tags off, bubblewrapping them and put them in boxes. He gave me a 20% discount again, which is like the employee discount. I don't know if it is because he liks me or because I've been a loyal customer. I casually asked what time the shop closes and working up the courage to ask more personal questions. After I paid and almost time to walk out the door, I asked him for his name, which I believe he already told me before. He says we'll probably see each other around the neighborhood: "You know how it goes." Meaning that he is gay and out. I said "With all the discount you give me, I should really buy you a drink sometimes." He said "Sure, I'm always here, you can stop by whenever you want." and as I was thinking on how we should exchange contact information he added "Although I'm usually running around a lot... thanks for the offer though". Was that a "yes" or a "no"?

I left puzzled. He showed sign that he likes me, but maybe he was just being an incredible salesman. There's friendliness and sincerity somewhere. Maybe he's taken? Anyway, maybe I'll see him in some random gay bar, some random night and I'll ask him in person.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP