Pauls During World Cup

>> Monday, July 12, 2010



I guess everybody knows that the FIFA World Cup is over by now and Spain won. I did play a little bit of soccer when I was younger but I wasn't really as enthusiastic as some of my other Asian friends who negotiated days off with their bosses during the past month just so they can stay home or go to bars to watch the matches. Same with my friends in Hong Kong who'd go to bed real early so they can wake up at 4:00 in the morning to watch the games.

I, too, joined my friends at the local Irish pub once or twice and had fun watching the game with strangers over beers and fries. Somehow I rooted for South American teams but since they all lost, I rooted for the remaining Spanish speaking country who won the last match. Well, that's all over.

Other than the sure destruction that surely had followed when a country wins in any sports, there were other bizarre story. The above Octopus also named Paul had predicted correctly the winning of 6 consecutive games and made himself a celebrity. By placing two boxes with flags of different countries on them, the octopus chooses to hide in the box of the winning team every time, the Spanish environmental and fisheries minister has now sworn to protect Paul. A letter will be sent to the German aquarium today to make sure that Paul won't get eaten.



When I first saw the above video I was livid, because it just sounds like another crazy right wing conspiracy theorist but later I found out the series of videos is from a comedian called Paul Day. I guess it's funny if I knew it was a joke to start with, but you can't blame me because teabaggers do sound like that and I'm sure there would be a lot of folks trying to take a page from Glenn Beck and "drawing conclusions" on their own.

So much for the 20 Facebook updates during each match, no matter what your views are for soccer/football at least when they call it World Cup here the whole WORLD is involved, that's more than I can say for the other sports.


Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP