Street Cred

>> Friday, June 01, 2007

I don't know why, but I have an affinity for murals, and graffiti arts. It represents freedom for me, freedom of expression, everything can be a canvas. It's so rebelious, but at the same time they entertain the eye so much more than those rude, imposing advertising everywhere peddling for consumerism.

On the back of street signs, on the corner newspaper box, there are creatures, words, shadows and expressions - stimulating interests and sparking reactions. Around town, I have been seeing these funny, well drawn, colorful characters everywhere. It always put a smile on my face when I see them. I would love to find out who created them and urge him to be the next big animator or at least print them on T-shirts so I can own one.

The street should be the biggest arena where people can express themselves freely like ancient Rome. Keith Haring, one of my personal hero, started his art in New York painting in the subway wall raising the awareness on HIV and homosexuality. The self-proclaimed "King of Kowloon" Mr. Tsang calligraphed his personal history in the walls of Hong Kong and inspired a new generation of art and calligraphers.

It is art, it beautifies and inspires, it is freedom on another level. Taking back the rules and laws set by others, breaking limitation, expressing what it means to be really living.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP