Getting Older

>> Thursday, August 19, 2010



When I was a teenager, I used to look up to celebrities. In that world where everything was possible, I imagined that one day when I'm in their age maybe I'll become famous. Years passed, I started to learn all my limitations and I got older and older. When I got to be the same age as the stars, I understand that I might not get to be famous. And when I get older than the stars, I started to resent my own lack of talent. At 35, my high school friends are all whining on Facebook about how out of shape they are and I too noticed how my body is slowly betraying me. At times, I can't see as clearly as before, maybe it's due to me staring at the computer screen too much. My Achilles tendinitis on my ankle doesn't allow me to run like I could before. I'm generally out of shape and I got some gum issues that requires me to go to the dentist but I have been putting it off because my resources is getting limited, my memory is also waning which is another issue from this Judas of a body.

The world is also getting very much different than it was. Over at Huffington Post they printed a list of 75 items of how people born in 1992 (18 years old) perceive the world and it goes something like this:

1. Few in the class know how to write in cursive.
2. E-mail is just too slow, and they seldom if ever use snail mail.
7. "Caramel macchiato" and "venti half-cafvanilla latte" have always been street corner lingo.
10. A quarter of the class has at least one immigrant parent, and the immigration debate is not a big priority unless it involves "real" aliens from another planet.
11. John McEnroe has never played professional tennis.
12. Clint Eastwood is better known as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry.
14. Doctor Kevorkian has never been licensed to practice medicine.
15. Colorful lapel ribbons have always been worn to indicate support for a cause.
16. Korean cars have always been a staple on American highways.
18. Fergie is a pop singer, not a princess.
20. DNA fingerprinting and maps of the human genome have always existed.
27. Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive.
28. They've never recognized that pointing to their wrists was a request for the time of day.
31. The first computer they probably touched was an Apple II; it is now in a museum.
32. Czechoslovakia has never existed.
36. Adhesive strips have always been available in varying skin tones.
39. Pizza jockeys from Domino's have never killed themselves to get your pizza there in under 30 minutes.
43. Russians and Americans have always been living together in space.
50. Toothpaste tubes have always stood up on their caps.
52. There have always been women priests in the Anglican Church.
60. Wal-Mart has never sold handguns over the counter in the lower 48.
66. Galileo is forgiven and welcome back into the Roman Catholic Church.

I guess that's normal for youngsters to have a different perception of reality, actually I consider them lucky to be able to get used to progression. Hope the next generation will be able to take gay marriage and other decent human traits for granted.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP