The Great Maya Angelou

>> Saturday, November 17, 2007

I was watching the Today Show when I was packing my luggage and getting ready to come back home, Maya Angelou was being interviewed by one of the anchors. I'm not from around, so I don't really know her that well. But I have read one of her stories and from the reactions of people around me and the general media, I knew she is highly regarded as one of the greatest minds. After all, she wrote books, musicals, directed movies, participated in the civil rights movement.

So the anchor asked her "If there is one lesson that she can teach everyone, what would that be?" and she said slowly "That would be the truth that at some point in everybody's life they had been loved." It's not honesty or righteousness, no, it's to know that you have been loved. I guess one can never underestimate the power of love. But what could that knowledge accomplish? I can't help but wonder while the anchor was getting tears in her eyes, because she was so touched.

No doubt, it warms the heart knowing that you have been loved. Does that bring contentment? Would we stop our desperate search of love in our adult life or stop searching for recognition? Is that even good for human development if we stop our search? If necessity is the mother of invention, what happens if the need is satisfied? Ms. Angelou is such a sage, I feel that I must not be smart enough to know what she meant.

The anchor went on to say that Ms. Angelou will be turning 80 and asked if she had one wish what would that be and she went on to say "It would be for each of us to take time with each other." I guess human interaction is getting scarce, I should know I have limited to no social skills. I'm scared of people and the art of conversation is lost with me. I have to read a book to know what cruising is about. Of course, Ms. Angelou preaches patience and forgiveness, not cruising and manipualtion. But then as I get older I grew less patient and I was never too good with forgiveness. Things have become instant; noodles, information, a call to Argentina. The world does not require patience anymore.

At the end, the anchor said in her teary eyes that she wishes that it won't be the last time she talks to Ms. Angelou. I don't think I'm the only one who heard the connotation of the anchor implying that Ms. Angelou might be dying soon, but the ever so graceful Ms. Angelou just brushed it off and said "Come to my house, I'll cook for you." Where is the next generations of great minds in the States? I wonder how many Jon Stewarts are out there.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP