The Glory That is Tori Amos

>> Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Like many people from HK, I first learned about Tori Amos from a translated version of "Silent All These Years" sung by our beloved Faye Wong. I thought the music styling and the arrangement was brilliant, but like most of the feet with ears I didn't understand some of the references in her songs. I always have a preference for female singers, I always find their ability to express emotions are far more advanced than men and Tori is the epitome of that ability.

Throughout the years, my understanding of American culture has improved and my appreciation for Tori's music has grew. "Boys for Pele" remains to be one of my favorite album of hers and of all time. It fully illustrates her piano and harpsicord skills and it's controversial and offensive at times, challenging its listeners traditional concepts.

Her melodies and lyrics weave into a pretty picture of repressed, rebellious catholic femininity, it somehow hauntingly echos through me. It is so lonely, sad and open up a floodgate of emotions within me everytime I listen to it. I guess we all have histories and baggages.

Reading the article set up for her on Wikipedia I understand that she have had a bad relationship with her old recording company, I hope her new one would allow her maximum creativity license and create an environment that would nourish her artistic pursuit. A talent like her is hard to come by.

Recommended Album: Tales of a Librarian (It's like Tori Amos 101), To Venus and Back Disc 2 (It's Tori Amos 102), Boys For Pele, From The Choirgirl Hotel.

Favorite Songs: "Northern Lad", "Playboy Mommy", "Doughnut Song", "Hey Jupiter", "Mohammed My Friend", "Silent All These Years", "Cornflake Girls", "Putting The Damage On", "Way Down", "Black Dove", "Jackie's Strength", "1000 Oceans", "Strange", "Don't Make Me Come To Vegas", "I Don't Like Mondays", "Precious Things", "Cloud on My Tongue", "Purple People"... Well, pretty much everything.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP