Asian in the Media (Apr 10 edition)

>> Tuesday, April 13, 2010



Maybe it should be named the yellow fever edition, for I am having a fever. Over the weekend I attended a friend's barbecue and stayed up all night playing Mahjong and then ended up feeling sick. Sore throat, upset stomach, body ache and fever would say that I'm having a flu but the Chinese will say it's because I had too much barbecue which its nature in hot and that's what caused the sore throat and I should drink more hot tea because herb's nature is cool and it will help neutralize it. Or maybe I'm getting old and my immune system is weakened by the lack of rest.

So another Asian team has won America's Best Dance Crew; An all-Asian male dance crew Poreotix from Westminster California has won Season 5 of MTV's America's Best Dance Crew, proving that some Asian can dance and dance pretty good too. I haven't really watched many of the episodes but from the summary below, they seemed to be able to incorporate humor in their dances.



Another MTV creation that features Asians seems to be underway. The Tyrese Gibson production company has posted an ad in Craigslist (of all places) for a casting call for Asian Americans:

Looking for interesting, attractive, colorful Asian-Americans to cast in a reality show similar to JERSEY SHORE, REAL WORLD, THE HILLS, etc. We need attractive Asian-Americans with lively, strong, and unique personalities between the ages of 18 to 30 with equally interesting life stories and perspectives to share, especially individuals who know about and/or experienced the Koreatown life. If you are not Asian but are obsessed with Asian culture or people in some way, email us and please explain
Much like Jersey Shore, they are not looking for Koreans specifically but "Asian Americans", so it could be Asians of any heritage. I do doubt it would be a series since I don't know a lot of people who would want to see a show just about Asians.



The past week's Masters tournament marked the comeback of half-Asian pro golfer Tiger Woods. Does anyone care? I'm more than creeped out by his new Nike Commercial. I mean what kind of ad campaign is this? Does it make people want to buy more Nike products? And isn't Nike's motto "Just do it"? Or did they modified it into "Just do it and except the consequence"? Or "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"?



In other golf news, Golf Digest's writer Dan Jenkins tweeted “Y.E. Yang is only three shots off the lead. I think we got takeout from him last night.” Proving that golf is still a sport for middle-aged, privileged, White men. It also proves that impulse twitting can be very harmful. Later, a Philadelphia Inquirer reporting talked to Jenkins and he dug himself deeper by saying "It was just a joke. I was making fun of the name. Sounds like PF Chang." Um, hello? Anybody there? How is that different than saying he looked like a Chinese delivery man? No matter how hard he tries, he will still fail to make golf relevant.



Last but least only in the age way, is 12 years old Adora Lily Svitak, a writing prodigy that got discovered at 6 and published at 7. She spoke at the prestigious TED2010 and pretty much blew everyone away. I can't remember what I was doing at 6 or 7, for that matter when I was 12. Marvelous, I'm in awe.



Oh and let's not forget to root for RuPaul's Drag Race's Jujubee, she has made it to the finals!

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP