The Feeling of Being Important

>> Sunday, April 20, 2008



Generally I hate politics and politicians, but lately Pennsylvania and Philadelphia have become the major focus due to the recent democratic primary. The whole city has become very vibrant, the feel of the community is strong, the people feel important. Everyone has been asked who they are going to vote for, as if it matters or it means something.

While I cannot vote, hence I don't matter, I still have my own point of view in the issue. I wasn't going to take side and I respected both democrat candidates a lot, but as the candidates ran their campaign, I can't help but lean toward Obama. Again, I can't vote so at the end my point of view doesn't quite matter but since this is my blog, I'll rant a bit at my leisure.

I was talking to DC yesterday during one of our shopping trip and he told me that he supports Clinton and if she does not get the nomination, he will seriously consider voting for McCain. That way of thinking earns a WTF from me, but I'm suppressing it inside since he is my best friend. He explains to me that with Clinton there is experience, one thing that he learns to appreciate in his "old" age. He finds Obama looks good on paper but wouldn't be able to achieve a lot if he's not experienced in the lion's den. And he knows a lot of people in his company that knows what to say, but cannot deliver. Hmm, interesting but McCain? He's now sounding like a right wing looney, people are comparing him to another 4 years of Bush and then he reminded me of something that I already know and hate about politics: "They don't say what they mean during the election." Right.

That's one of the things I can't stand. During the election, the candidates need to appeal to the masses, therefore they don't take concrete positions on issues. McCain has a more liberal history, but he's crazying it up to gain the republican support. So it hard to tell the position of all candidates until they get the presidency, but then they want to get reelected as well, so maybe nothing major is going to take place until year 5. I think that it is a very bad way how politics work. I much rather have everyone who wants to run, run the full course. If we have 20 candidates running for the presidency at least they will show us where they stand to differentiate themselves from each other. Like Kucinich, who said he would approve gay marriage. With two candidates, they are not trying to be different from each other. They are basically the same person. That is why the focus turned into what Clinton said about her being under fire is Bosnia and what Obama's reverend said. Their views on issue are non-committal and pretty much the same.

What I like about Obama is what he represents. A change in the system. Like the TV series Mister Sterling. Someone in a position to do things a little bit unorthodox, and really change it. Kick out the lobbyist, do what a politician is really meant to do: good. Obama knows how to handle himself and treated Hillary with respect while Hillary seems more and more conniving, of course she's in deep water and getting desperate. But no voters like the smell of desperation. The whole negative campaigning does not do anyone any good. The whole election drags out way too long and it's sort of why the winner of America's Next Top Model and other reality shows never come out successful; You get to know too much details about those people's personality. They are not saints, there's no mystique, there are just another schmo and we don't want another schmo to run the country, do we? We want someone better than us, in one way or another. If you're just another average person, why would we want you to lead us?

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP