The Margaret Cho Beautiful Tour

>> Monday, October 06, 2008



I've seen Margaret's show before, I think it was the I'm The One I Want show which happens to be at the same venue a few years ago. Although Margaret is married, she's quite open about her bisexuality and being surrounded by gay guys while she was growing up in Polk Street of San Francisco, she sees herself as an ally of the gays and the ultimate fag hag. She's very open about how she loves sex and of course, I also identify with her for being Asian-American.

I was ecstatic to see this show, not only because my love for Margaret. For an added bonus, Liam Sullivan from the fame for his portrayal of Kelly (With 20 Million plus YouTube viewings) is the opening act, what a genius.

So I went out with the Gay Luck Club group Friday to see the show, with much anticipation Liam started the show as Aunt Susan, the lesbian aunt of Kelly, and sang a song called Two-headed Dildo. I believe that set the tone for the night; as if you don't know what the night has in store for you. Then Liam went backstage for 10 minutes while a big screen is playing some videos about a couple seeing a sex conselor seeking to improve their sex life. It was particularly funny when they were listening to a Chinese erotic story tape and the guy made those exaggerated sex sounds in the tape. Another video showed with Kelly singing Let Me Borrow That Top (See Below), then Liam came out as Kelly and sung a new song called What's That Aboot? making fun of the Canadian accent which made BL a little uncomfortable since he's from Vancouver, and then it's Shoes

As much as I love Liam, I find his set to be a little awkward. To show videos on a live show is a little unconventional. And while Kelly sings live, there's nothing visually stimulating enough. Since his songs contain so much repeated lyrics, he could benefit from two background dancers or maybe some psychodelic graphics playing behind him. Some details need to be ironed out.

Margaret was amazing. She was wearing a black leather/rubber jumpsuit that showed off her voluptuousness and unlike some other shows I've seen, her hair was wavy and glorious. There's a sense of glamor and as the title of her tour, she is beautiful.

I was surprised on how current her topics goes from. Being an Obama supporter, she did started the show by "commenting" on Palin, and then goes to McCain and the stock market crash. It also touched on human rights, gay marriage and other issues but overall I would say that the major focus on the show is self-esteem and sexual liberation. I was imagining how many right-wing heads would have exploded, especially during her farewell song called Eat Me Out.

Her set was hilarious, you won't believe what can come out of her mouth. After the show, my friends dispersed but I was determined to get myself a picture with Margaret and Liam, from my previous experience I knew the door that they will be coming out from and it was made obvious by a small crowd and a waiting limo. After waiting for 15 minutes or so, Margaret came out and took her time to take picture and signed autographs for every waiting fan. I got extremely shy and can't even speak to her much but still managed to take a picture with her, I took note that she's a bit shorter than me even her personality is larger than life. After she left Liam came out with friends and he was also very accomodating to me. They are both very nice people, really.


You can see both Aunt Susan and Kelly here. I really wanted to get a T-Shirt that said Deck on the front but I was too busy stalking Liam and Margaret and I didn't have time.

---

You can find a good recount of the show here.

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP